Friday, January 7, 2011

[Side Note] Help Ekaterina Sedia

I know I'm late to the party and that there has been support for Ekaterina Sedia, but I don't think one more would hurt now would it.

Despite the good reviews, The House of Discarded Dreams has not been fairing well out on the field and this is where you come in, dear reader. Help Ekaterina Sedia. Buy the book and show that a book like hers can find its place in today's market.

“Trying to escape her embarrassing immigrant mother, Vimbai moves into a dilapidated house in the dunes… and discovers that one of her new roommates has a pocket universe instead of hair, there’s a psychic energy baby living in the telephone wires, and her dead Zimbabwean grandmother is doing dishes in the kitchen. When the house gets lost at sea and creatures of African urban legends all but take it over, Vimbai turns to horseshoe crabs in the ocean to ask for their help in getting home to New Jersey. ”

For whatever reason, it doesn’t seem to get as much traction as my previous books, despite many positive reviews. So I’m asking you to help if you’re so inclined. Link to this post, or point it out to people who might enjoy a book with horseshoe crab biology and based on immigrant experience, a book with a non-white protagonist and drawing from a culture rarely seen in fantasy. If you read it, please consider posting a review at Amazon or elsewhere. I know there are readers for this book — please help them find it!

I will make sure to buy my copy once I visit the might UK, but this is a novel that I want to see more often. A novel that doesn't set any immediate inbred and bundled-up expectations. It's different. It's mighty.

2 comments:

Ria said...

I believe I saw this book (or at least another one of her's) at Indigo the other day and was lamenting the fact that I was too broke to buy it. It looked really interesting, and I've heard good things about her writing. I'm going to have to pick up a copy at some point soon, methinks

Unknown said...

I've got this one on my wish list for sure. Up there as one of the most anticipated 2011 releases in my book.

Related Posts with Thumbnails