Thursday, April 8, 2010

[Art Pick] Bizarre Victorian Animal Portraits

Surrealism is foreign to me. I have seen some surrealistic art, which did not capture my eye or had to do little to inspire me in any way. Which is to say that I have no understanding or knowledge of the genre and what can be achieved with it, until I came across the New Victorian Gods series by Joseph Larkin, who captured my little black heart. The elegance and sophistication stems not only from the superior technique used to render the images, who are so lifelike, but it is imbued in the frames themselves. For Larking finding the right frame is an art form on its own and gives the enchanting and magnetic quality in his works. Here are some highlights.

"Phoebe Smoke"

"Paladin"

"Dear Prudence"

"Dead Avian Gorgon"

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails