Sunday, January 17, 2010

Rogue in Art

Rogue or Anna Marie has to be Marvel's biggest female character creations. She certainly stands in my top three Marvel heroines ever along with Storm and Jean Grey. Rogue is the trump card, a deus ex machina in the flesh with a power that can steal other powers temporarily and with enough skin contact even kill. I still can't believe that she has been created in 1981, because I can't imagine the Marvel world without her. Her adoptive mother is a known mutant terrorist. Rogues has been a terrorist herself and she even had a fling with Magneto... Her power is her greatest asset and yet an invisible confinement, which spells her personal tragedy. There are so many opportunities for Rogue's development and she has been known to go rogue, when she absorbs too many powers and go over the brink. I have seen her in all the animated series and loved her there, especially X-Men Evolution. I even set out a goal to read more comic books with her as a heroine.

5 comments:

Adele said...

I love Rogue because you can totally see why she wavers sometimes in her loyalties and why she would want to give up her powers. Her personal tragedy of not being able to really touch anyone makes it so much more believable that she is so torn.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That last one is great - and hot!

Harry Markov said...

Adele: Yes, I mean so much to make from just one place. A writer's wet dream I imagine.

Alex: HOT it is. :)

Leigh M. Lane said...

Rogue is so great because she really epitomizes the tragic hero, offering a piece of gritty realism to her otherwise unbreakable character. She is definitely one of my favorites, and I love the art that has depicted her over the years.

Harry Markov said...

You nailed it. She is all that and a bag of chips.

Related Posts with Thumbnails